It has been less than a week since Ayesha Wallace stopped at the airport in Kabul. For the past 2.5 years, he has worked as a humanitarian in close collaboration with UN and Afghan health officials to fight polio.
The situation in the Afghan capital is volatile, with the airport in Kabul being hit by two bomb blasts on Thursday.
– I think of the pessimistic people standing at the airport gate. Although they were informed that there might be a terrorist attack at the airport, they chose to stay because they were so eager to leave, Volosmal says.
I talked to friends in Kabul
The Taliban say at least 13 people, including children, have been killed in an attack on Kabul airport.
Volosmal was in contact with many of those staying in Kabul.
– I spoke with friends who were in contact with the people who witnessed the explosion in Kabul. They say it was a suicide bomber and that many of the injured were women and children, said Volasmal, the sister of NRK reporter Yama Volasmal.
The Pentagon has confirmed two explosions at the airport. It first crashed into the Abe Gate, an entrance gate where thousands of people had gathered in hopes of fleeing Afghanistan, before a new explosion erupted at the nearby Baron Hotel.
Pentagon: Two explosions at Kabul airport – many killed
– Complete confusion
It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post.
– Deciding who is behind this is very soon, but it is no secret that IS is in the country, says Volosmal.
She worries that this could worsen the already tense situation in the country.
– This is a common example of how the current situation could be exacerbated by competition between the Taliban and ISIS. Wallsman says it will be exciting to see how the Allies react to this new conflict.
The humanitarian worker believes that it is now urgent to start humanitarian assistance to the country.
– There is complete chaos in Afghanistan. Now we have to put pressure on Western nations and politicians so that all humanitarian aid does not freeze, says Wolesmann.
– The last thing they wanted
Christian Berg of the peace research firm Prio has been closely following the situation in the country since the Harvikan Taliban came to power.
– This is what the Taliban last wanted. They have taken steps to establish law and order. They worked hard in their own strength to act as responsibly as possible, and this is happening, says Harvwigen.
– What do we know about IS in Afghanistan?
IS has been represented in Afghanistan since 2015. Many groups have been defeated, but there is a definite IS presence, especially in the eastern part of Kabul, says Harbwigan.
He also stressed the importance of establishing humanitarian assistance to the country as soon as possible.
– If we do not do something now, then it is very difficult to achieve something, says Harvwigen.