On Tuesday, Amazon General Jeff Bezos will be launched on a rocket on its way into space. At the heart of the increasingly bitter confrontation between him and Elon Musk – even more so – is the dream of getting there.
For 20 years, two of the planet’s richest men, Bezos and Musk, have been scouring the space.
Elon Musk’s SpaceX won the first race to put a rocket in orbit in early 2008, with Jeff Bezos likely to drop Musk on the run-up side in another division.
On Tuesday, the outgoing Amazon boss will go into space.
A few days after British billionaire Richard Branson travels there with his younger brother Mark Bezos Made a similar journey.
The expedition includes 82-year-old female astronaut Wally Funk and 18-year-old Dutch physics student Oliver Damon. They will be the oldest and youngest to visit space, respectively.
The journey will take eleven minutes, and four minutes more than the passenger is supposed to be in space.
The launch will take place in the desert in Texas at 15.00 Norwegian time on Tuesday. It is 52 years since the moon landed in 1969.
– Can’t wake it up
Although Jeff Bezos landed in space before arch-rival Elon Musk, his company lags far behind Blue Origin SpaceX.
SpaceX was able to launch a rocket into orbit six years before the company was founded, and Blue Origin has not yet reached it. Last year SpaceX sent astronauts to the International Space Station.
And Musk has been loud with the goal of sending people to the moon and to Mars.
– Engineers perform better when they are pushed to the limit of doing great things in a very short period of time with few resources. That’s when you do a good job. Not when you’re 20, SpaceX CEO Quinn Shotwell said during a conference last year.
It was considered a monopoly in the Blue Origin, which in Latin is somewhat lavishly craditim ferociter – aimed at “gradually, violently”. The logo of the company is a turtle, he must win the race against the rabbit.
But right now the rabbit – Elon Musk – at least if he trusts his own Twitter account, is good to go on the track.
– He didn’t wake it up (in orbit). Lol, Musk wrote on Twitter in April. The announcement comes as Bezos complains about NASA’s decision to award SpaceX a contract to bring NASA astronauts to the moon.
The deal was worth nearly three billion US dollars, or 26 billion kroner.
Recently, Bezos has invested heavily in Blue Origin. He has stepped down as head of Amazon with the intention of spending more time on the space program. His company has cut staff from SpaceX by offering double pay.
– This is unnecessary, a bit rude, Elon Musk has said about this procedure.
Third millionaire in dance
The arch-rival Elon Musk has booked a flight with the Virgin Atlantic – the company owned by billionaire Richard Branson, which took him into space last week. The day he had to fly, Branson tweeted a picture of himself and Musk.
– A big day ahead of us. Very good to start the morning with a friend. Feeling good, feeling curious, feeling ready, Branson wrote.
He thanked Musk for his support. The Blue Origin, on the other hand, describes the Virgin Galactic in a very negative way.
– From the beginning, the new Shepherd rocket was designed to fly above the Gorman line, so none of our astronauts would have a footnote in their name. For 96 percent of the world’s population, space starts at a distance of 100 kilometers, in this range, the company writes on Twitter.
Attached is a picture comparing the vessels of the Virgin Galactic and the use of the Blue Origin. In the list, it seems implicitly that the blue look is the most valuable.
For Bezos, the space dream was a lifetime.
When he was commissioned to deliver a farewell speech at a high school graduation ceremony in 1982, he told the Miami Herald newspaper He wanted to create hotels, amusement parks and colonies For two to three million spaces.
“The idea is to take care of the earth,” he told the Washington Post. People must be evicted and the earth must become a park.
Bezos first founded Blue Origin in 2000, After watching the space movie «October Sky. He had seen the film with a friend and told him that he had always wanted to start an aerospace company.
– Why not do it now? Asked a friend. Since the company was founded in 2000, Bezos has worked one day a week at Blue Origin, while Amazon has grown into a large multinational company.
He became the richest man in the world, took over the e-business in most parts of the world, and set up his own power service. Now is the time for the first visit to space.
“They are ready to enjoy the biggest flight of their lives,” Blue Origin’s Ariane Cornell said of the crew who worked on the space mission on Tuesday.
“We have no unresolved issues at the moment and the new Shepherd rocket is ready to fly,” said Air Traffic Controller Steve Lonius. Thus it is very unlikely that Bezos’ dream flight will be canceled.