1 in 2Photo: Military Source / AFP
The African Union, the United States and the United Nations condemn what Guinea describes as “forcible acquisition.” In the streets of the capital, people celebrated the plot – until the plot makers introduced a curfew order on Sunday night.
On Sunday afternoon live television, military official Mamati Tamboy said the Guinean government had been disbanded. A.P.He also writes that the army controls a state-owned television channel in the country.
“We will no longer hand over this policy to anyone, we will give it to the people,” Colonel Dumbboya said during the broadcast.
The colonel says the country’s constitution has been declared invalid and the country’s borders and airspace have been closed.
According to the AFP, the UN condemns what they describe as “occupation by force” in Guinea. The same goes for the African Union in one Press Release.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres personally addresses the conspiracy on his Twitter page on Sunday:
– I personally follow the situation in Guinea very closely. I condemn the use of force and the immediate release of President Alpha Conte, “said Guterres.
Earlier it was announced on Sunday Shooting outside the Presidential Palace, People on those streets were asked to leave their homes.
The US State Department condemned the act in a statement issued Monday night:
– The United States condemns the current events in Conakry. The report said that these measures could limit the ability of the United States and other international partners to support the country as it leads to a brighter future.
1 in 2Photo: GUINEA MILITARY HANDOUT / EPA
News agency Reuters reported on social media that the videos showed Guinea’s leader Alpha Conte being taken away by the country’s special forces. Although they could not confirm whether the video was taken on Sunday, the AP cites another video of the president being held in military custody.
According to Reuters, the military junta has promised to take good care of Conte and that he is not injured.
In another video, the BBC reports that the president was asked to confirm on camera that he was not harmed, but he refused to respond.
During the day there were many conflicting messages from the country. Guinean officials have told AFP that a special forces coup attempt was foiled.
At the same time, the defense ministry said guards at the presidential palace had repulsed the attack, Reuters writes, and that security forces were working to restore order.
Following the curfew order
In a video, a ruling party spokesman says a nationwide curfew has been imposed Sunday night. The curfew order is in effect from 8pm on Sunday night and will last until the coup comes with the opposite message.
– We assure the nation and the international community that there is no danger to President Alpha Conds. “We have taken all necessary steps to ensure that he has access to health care and are in touch with his doctors,” the spokesman said.
While the UN and the African Union condemn the attack, Conakry’s pictures show scenes of joy in the streets. According to the AFP, many took to the streets to celebrate the coup. Photographs taken before the curfew came into force.
1 in 3Photo: CELLOU BINANI / AFP
– Everything will be fine, the spokesman says in the video. He assures that the regime will send more reports “at the right time”.
Also, government ministers have been summoned to a meeting in the capital, Conakry, at 11 a.m. Monday.
He escaped assassination attempts in 2011
Guinea is located on the west coast of Africa, and although the country is rich in natural resources, the population is one of the poorest in the world due to war and political instability. UN Connection.
In 2011, the president escaped an assassination attempt on his own home, where, among other things, rockets were fired into the bedroom of the president’s residence. Three people were killed in the attack.
Conte was re-elected for a third term in October last year, which did not allow a re-election after the constitution was changed, but the election was marked by several violent incidents that claimed the lives of dozens of people, the NDP writes.
He was the first person to be democratically elected president in 2010. This was the first democratic election in Guinea since 1958, when it left the French colony.